Ballindoon Abbey

The Abbey lies on the eastern shore of Lough Arrow. Inside the ruins of a 14th century Dominican Abbey there is an interesting monument to Terence McDonough. It is entirely built in the Middle English Gothic style.

Address - Ballymote, County Sligo
P – 00353 71 9161201

Ballymote Castle

Richard de Burgo, the Red Earl of Ulster, built the remains of this Anglo Norman castle in AD 1300 and it was the strongest fortress in Connacht. The most prominent feature of this impressive fortification is the large gate building – a rectangular structure with projection 1/2 round towers at each side of the entrance.
Ballymote is almost square in plan with a 3/4 round tower at each angle and a D-shaped tower mid way along the east and west curtains. In the south wall there is a small gateway – which may have been used as a sallyport. The double faced walls of the gate towers were built as a defence against undermining the wall.

Address - Ballymote, Sligo
P - 00353 71 9161201

Carrowkeel Megalithic Site

Near the village of Castlebaldwin, travellers can have the delight of visiting the historic Carrowkeel cemetery, beautifully situated in the Bricklieve Mountains.
The megalithic site includes 14 passage cairns, most of which are round in shape and contain limestone slabs. The tombs date from 3200 to 2400 BC.
Carrowkeel also boasts 140 circular stone foundations, which are thought to be the remains of a prehistoric village

Address - Castlebaldwin, Sligo

Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery

Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery in County Sligo is the largest, and one of the most important, megalithic sites in Europe.
Over 60 tombs have been located by archaeologists. The oldest pre-dates Newgrange by 700 years and is older than the pyramids. Tombs are accessible and a restored cottage houses a small exhibition relating to the site. Visitors are advised to wear shoes suitable for walking on uneven terrain.

Address - Carrowmore, Sligo

Creevykeel Court Tomb

Creevykeel Court Tomb is one of the best examples of a court tomb in Ireland. It consists of a long, trapeze shaped cairn, enclosing an oval court and a burial chamber of two compartments. The court was where rituals were performed.
The remains of three single chambered subsidiary tombs are present at the western end of the monument. The cairn measures 55m in length and 25m wide at the eastern end, where the entrance to the court is located.
A lintel stone, which was found in the chamber during excavations was re-erected, as well as caps and two jambs at the entrance. Paving stones were uncovered at the entrance and between the jamb stones of the second burial

Address - Cliffoney, Sligo

Dolly’s Cottage

Dolly’s Cottage is a 200 year old, traditional, thatched cottage, the only one of its kind in the area which is open to the public during the summer months. It is a stone built cottage with two rooms and a loft with original walls, roof, roof beams, fireplace and pouch bed. When you step through the little red door it’s like stepping into the past. The cottage is named after Dolly Higgins, the last person to live here. She was a genial soul, well loved by young and old in the area. When Dolly died in 1970, the cottage was purchased by the Strandhill guild of the Irish Countrywomens Association, with a view to preserving it for future generations.

Address - Strandhill, Sligo
P - 00353 71 9168079

Lissadell House & Gardens

OPEN 7 DAYS 10:30 AM – 6:00 PM 21st June – 14th September 2014

• House Tours
• Markievicz Exhibition
• Yeats Exhibition
• 1914 Centenary Exhibition
• Alpine Garden
• Walled Victorian Garden
• Woodland Walks All open

Tickets: Adult: €12 Child: €6

Address - Ballinfull, Co. Sligo
W -
P - 00353 71 91 63150

Pollexfen House

At the corner of Wine Street and Adelaide Street stands the impressive stone building formerly “The Western Wholesale Company”.
This was once part of the extensive property of the Pollexfen family. On the roof can be seen the turret from which William Pollexfen trained a telescope on his ships going in and out of port over a century ago. A century ago the Pollexfens and the Middletons were the largest ship owners in Sligo. During the first half of the 19th century they owned a large fleet of sailing vessels. About 1860 they began to use steam to cater for the ever increasing numbers of emigrants. The early 1860’s saw the highest emigration figures in Sligo since the great Famine. In 1864 as many as 400 per week sailed for America and Canada. In 1867 when his grand- son, W.B. Yeats, was two years old, William Pollexfen saw the “Erin’s Hope” arriving in Sligo Bay. The 138-ton brigantine, in charge of American Fenian officers, had sailed from New York with a cargo of arms and ammunition. It was refused permission to enter port and, after lying at anchor in the Bay for six days, sailed back for New York.
Before turning left into Adelaide Street stand at the Western Wholesale corner, and look to your right. You will glimpse some of the tall stone warehouses near the docks, reminders of the great days of Sligo Port described by Lewis: “In 1834, 47 vessels in the foreign trade entered inwards and two cleared outwards and 354 in the coasting and cross-channel trade entered inwards and 508 cleared outwards; there were 17 vessels belonging to this port in that year.

Address - Wine Street, Sligo

Sligo Abbey

The site of Sligo Abbey contains a great wealth of carvings including Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture, well preserved cloisters and the only sculptured 15th century high altar to survive in any Irish monastic church.
Known locally as the ‘Abbey’, it survives from the medieval days. Built by Maurice Fitzgerald for the Dominicans in 1252 and was accidentally burnt down in 1414, when a candle left carelessly in the building set it on fire, and it was further damaged during the 1641 rebellion. Legend says that worshippers saved the Abbey’s silver bell which was thrown into Lough Gill and only those free from sin can hear it peal.
Access to site through Visitor Centre. Restricted access to site for visitors with disabilities.

Opening Hours
30th March – 8th October: Daily 10.00-18.00
Last admission 45 mins before closing
Average length of visit: 1 hour

Address - Abbey Street, Sligo Town
P - 00353 71 9146406

Sligo County Museum

At the Sligo County Museum you can find The Yeats Room which is full of manuscripts, photographs, letters and newspaper cuttings associated with the local poet William Butler Yeats including a copy of his 1923 Nobel Prize winning medal and a complete collection of his poems from 1889 to 1936.
Also in the museum you will see paintings by Irish artists George Russell, Sean Keating and Jack. B. Yeats, brother of the poet William Butler Yeats.
There is also a display of artefacts and memorabilia associated with Countess Constance Markievicz and her sister Eva Gore-Booth. The museun also contains a fascinating collection of exhibits detailing Sligo’s rich stone-age history, including a large firkin of 100-year-old bog butter

Opening Hours: October to April: 9.30am to 12.30pm Tuesday to Saturday
May-September: 9.30am to 12.30pm and 2pm to 4.50pm Tuesday to Saturday
Closed Sundays and Mondays.

Address - Stephen Street, Sligo
P – 00353 71 9111679

Trace Your Roots

County Sligo Heritage & Genealogy Centre
County Sligo Heritage & Genealogy Centre, which is located in Temple Street in Sligo is the officially designated genealogical research service for County Sligo and is part of a national network of genealogical centres in Ireland.
The centre offers a comprehensive range of genealogical products and services to people tracing their County Sligo roots from all over the world. Research options range from a search for an individual or family set of records to the compilation of a Family History Report. Visitors to the Centre can avail of a personal consultation with a researcher, or perhaps commission a location search, which endeavours to identify their ancestor’s townland of origin.
The staff at the Centre endeavour to give every assistance to enquirers. They are experienced researchers who are specially trained in genealogical research techniques. Their local knowledge of the County and its sources in great detail mean that “no stone will be left unturned” in the course of attempting to discover your ancestral lineage. They are fortunate in having a wealth of genealogical information at their disposal.

County Sligo Heritage & Genealogy Centre is a member of the Irish Family History Foundation.

Address - Aras Reddan, , Temple Street, Sligo
W -
P - 353 71 9143728